In the vast realm of post-rock, where musical narratives are woven without the aid of lyrics, Pensacola's very own YNICORNS have emerged with their newest offering, Break Break Break releasing on July 5th to the public. The instrumental four-piece band has crafted a captivating soundscape across seven mesmerizing tracks. Join us as we dive into the ethereal landscapes of this enigmatic album, where emotions find solace in melodies, and the absence of words speaks volumes.
What is Post-Rock?
"Post-Rock is an opportunity to take all of these different elements of these different genres I like and combine them together into something that has the energy and spirit of rock music without any of the need for the convention of rock music so much? It gives a freedom to explore compositional ideas and textural ideas all under one unifying thing which is the collage of inspiration. A lot like the visual art I enjoy, it leaves a lot of room for interpretation for the audience to sort of imprint their own experience and ideas into this sandbox you build sonically. So I like that. I like open ended things, stuff that allows the listener to be interactive with the medium and art." - Doug Stanford
Break Break Break is a meticulously crafted seven-song album that has been honed over the course of four years. The musical journey began with the enigmatic tracks Untitled 3 and Untitled 1 before gaining momentum during the challenging times of the pandemic. As a response to the weariness of improvised music, Doug embarked on a deliberate exploration of composition. Drawing deep inspiration from the works of Steve Reich, the album gracefully incorporates Reich's signature style while infusing it with a distinct personal touch. The result is a collection of mesmerizing pieces that showcases YNICORNS' growth and dedication to pushing the boundaries of their craft.
What brand of screwdrivers do you prefer?
I'm a die-hard Kobalt fan and I think Destyn uses a Kobalt but its a different one than mine. Its no joke though, there is a lot of thought that goes into it. I spent a shit load of time at Lowes evaluating different screw drivers because they genuinely do produce different tones for a couple of reasons. The gauge, like the thickness of the shaft part, does produce different tone. What's most important to me though is the grit. The chrome shiny ones do not grab enough of the string, too much grit grabs it too much, but these do a really great job like a violin bow with rosin and have a really pleasing grit and grain. You also want to have a heavier screw driver but you don't need a very large one. I use round screw drivers too. I don't like the hexagonal ones because I don't want to worry to much about what angle I'm at or am I using the flat part compared to the corner and I can easily see where I'm touching the string at with the round ones. - Doug Stanford
Tracks on the album:
- Kyiv: a hauntingly powerful composition, finds its roots in the turbulent events of the Russian invasion. The song begins with an ethereal and serene ambiance, drawing listeners into a calm and reflective space. However, just as one settles into the tranquility, the track takes an unexpected turn, erupting into a sonic explosion of raw emotion. The contrast between the initial atmospheric calm and the subsequent eruption at the end creates a poignant musical narrative that mirrors the unpredictability and intensity of the real-life events that inspired it. Kyiv serves as a gripping reminder of the indomitable spirit and resilience in the face of adversity, leaving an indelible impact on those who venture into its sonic landscape.
- Untitled 3 undoubtedly stands out as the serene oasis of uplifting emotions within the album. The artist showcases their mastery of the screwdriver technique, employing it cleverly to create a unique sonic experience. Through intricate exploration of textures, this mesmerizing track takes listeners on a captivating journey. Serving as a beautiful departure from the intense conclusion of Kyiv, Untitled 3 offers a much-needed respite, enveloping listeners in a tranquil ambiance that exudes a sense of serenity and optimism. Its gentle melodies and delicate intricacies provide a soothing balm for the soul, making it a standout moment within the album's narrative.
- Untitled 1 often referred to as the voicemail song, is a hauntingly poignant composition that masterfully weaves an intricate tapestry of emotions. The track mesmerizes listeners with its unique implementation of the screwdriver technique, creating a slow crescendo that gradually envelopes you in its captivating allure. As the intensity builds, a faint voicemail message delicately intertwines with the music, adding an ethereal layer of intimacy. The song's peak becomes a transcendental experience, inducing a trance-like state that blurs the boundaries between reality and introspection. By the time Untitled 1 concludes, you find yourself in a disassociative or meditative state, profoundly affected by the evocative power of the artist's sonic craftsmanship. It is an immersive and deeply moving journey that leaves an indelible mark on the soul.
- Ambedo: a captivating track, emerges from a collection of previously unreleased songs that embody the essence of "to experience everything in an intensely feeling way." This evocative definition sets the tone for the entire musical journey, as the YNICORNS skillfully captures the depth and richness of emotions within. With its enchanting melodies and immersive arrangements, Ambedo invites listeners to delve into a world where every note resonates with a profound intensity. It is a testament to the artist's ability to craft music that not only captivates the senses but also invites a transformative experience that lingers long after the song fades away.
- Riven: ," Has a unique composition in which the song starts with the middle of the song, has the end in the middle, and the beginning at the end. "It has the quality of an experience of being in a car crash of racing and increasing/intensifying speeds, it explodes, there's a wind chime that sounds like breaking glass kind of buried in the distorting crunch that happens, and then it just kind of floats in space for the rest of it."
- Seiche: a mesmerizing post-rock composition by the enigmatic band, captures the essence of its namesake phenomenon with remarkable precision. The song's captivating distortion in the intro acts as a magnet, drawing you closer before establishing a delicate equilibrium, much like the calm surface of a serene lake. Gradually, it builds layers of intricate melodies and soaring guitars, mirroring the mounting energy of an impending seiche. The crescendo builds upon you with immense power, evoking a flood of emotions and sonic intensity. With its evocative soundscapes and dynamic progression, Seiche submerges listeners into a captivating musical journey that beautifully reflects the danger and beauty coexisting within nature's awe-inspiring forces.
- Hold: As the final track on Break Break Break, it serves as a powerful conclusion to this captivating instrumental journey.
YNICORNS' Break Break Break is a testament to the emotive power of instrumental music. Through seven meticulously crafted tracks, the band showcases their ability to communicate and evoke profound emotions without uttering a single word. From the opener Kyiv to the grandeur of Hold, the album takes listeners on a sonic odyssey, where ethereal soundscapes and post-rock intricacies intertwine. YNICORNS' craftsmanship shines throughout, displaying their adeptness in creating atmospheric tension, building cathartic crescendos, and painting vivid musical landscapes.